Seeing a Cardinals streak with a ‘W’ in front sure is a sight for sore eyes. The Cards still have a lot to improve on, but I think it’s safe to say that the worst is over (Rachel had a good post on the subject, she captured what I have been feeling quite well). The starting pitching can’t help but improve (it is statistically improbable that this rotation could perform any worse given their career numbers), the offense is clicking on most nights (how about giving Carp and Reyes some more support though?!), and the defense is still solid for the most part. Here’s some things I’m excited about looking forward:
- Jimmy Ed is starting to find his HR stroke again and has turned in some amazing catches in the past few games.
- Pujols, while not quite his first half self again, did win 2 of the last 4 games with a walk-off homer.
- Marquis has had 2 strong starts in a row.
- We used almost every member of our bullpen tonight and none of them gave up a run.
- The Cardinals, while still blowing countless offensive chances, are giving much more than a hard 9. We have won 3 extra-innings games in a row.
- We will get our first look at Jeff Weaver on Monday. I’m not sure that he will solve our problems, but he surely can’t be worse. He isn’t much of a pinch-hitter though…
One thing I don’t like is the way Ponson went out. It is apparent that several teams were interested in Ponson and we got nothing for him. Actually, we got less than nothing, because we still have to pay his $1 million salary while he plays for the Yankees. I know this isn’t much, but it seems to me we could have at least shoved some of his salary off on somebody, if not gotten a low-level prospect.
Here’s hoping for continued success and some run support for Carpenter tomorrow!